2nd District School Board Seat

Welcome!

2nd District School Board Seat

Postby Brad Anders on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:23 pm

Commissioners,

As you are aware we will have a decision to make in regards to the 2nd District School Board Seat. Here are some of the options we have:

- Allow the seat to remain unfilled until the election is certified in November(usually 10 days after the election date)

- Have a selection process at the August meeting that would fill the seat until the November election is certified. We would have a meeting at 5 pm on the day of the work session to allow interested parties to come before commission.

The current plan is for Ms. Kincannon to resign as of Aug 7. This would allow her to attend and vote at the meeting on Aug 6th. The last time her and I spoke she advised me we would have a resignation letter for us to have in the July meeting for a spread of record. There may be other options you all have and I hope we can vet them on the this board.
Brad Anders

Re: 2nd District School Board Seat

Postby Ed Shouse on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:45 pm

It would be my preference to interview all interested (and qualified) candidates at the suggested August 18th, 5:00 meeting. I would hope that an individual would be chosen at this meeting and would represent the 2nd District on the School Board for the time period remaining until certification and installing of the winner of the November election for said seat. While I assume that what is stated during an interview before Commission is not legally binding, my plan will be to support someone who is well qualified and will assure Commission they have no intention of running for the office in the Fall general election. (Ed Shouse 11th District)
Ed Shouse

Postby R Larry Smith on Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:34 pm

The citizens of the 2nd district deserve representation every month. I am in agreement with scheduling the Public Hearing to interview applicants for 5:00 p.m. after the August Work Session and then appointing an individual at the August meeting to serve until the November election.
R Larry Smith

Postby Jeff Ownby on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:27 am

I think that the appointment should occur during our August meeting after conducting interviews at 5 pm on our Worksession day. I dont believe this district or any district should go unrepresented. Whether a person decides to run after being appointed is not a concern to me.
Jeff Ownby

Return to Knox County Commission Forum